Business Development Manager, Sales – Location Flexible
Flexible but preferably East Coast-based
The Capitol Forum is an independent media agency that delivers investigative news and legal analysis of industry-defining competition policy issues to an influential subscriber base that includes investors, regulators, lawyers, and policymakers.
By producing timely investigative journalism and exclusive analysis, we have become one of the fastest growing, differentiated, and influential media companies in the United States.
POSITION AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Capitol Forum is looking for a business development manager to join the sales team.
Reporting to the CRO, you will be responsible for effectively targeting, prospecting, and gaining new customers within your designated region. This will involve promoting and selling our suite of products with the overall goal of achieving demanding but realistic targets.
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for winning new business across our target audiences. This includes securing new accounts through a combination of cold calling, emailing, and face-to-face meetings (when they can safely resume in light of the pandemic*).
This position will be primarily responsible for achieving new sales. The role also requires developing and executing a revenue growth strategy, which includes planning, prospecting, and closing the targeted accounts.
To succeed in this role, you will need to:
- Execute the firm’s sales strategy by driving new clients and maintaining existing clients brought on board.
- Be proactive in the self-generation of new leads to maximize new business revenue.
- Achieve your territory revenue plan.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of The Capitol Forum’s product and ability to convey our offering to prospective clients.
- Contact new leads generated from marketing campaigns, conferences and customer enquiry and maximize new business revenue.
- Build and maintain prospective client lists (pipeline).
- Conduct market research projects exploring new markets and customer types within the regions of responsibility.
- Schedule meetings/trials with new prospects.
- Maintain and update sales progress reports and other administrative reporting mechanisms in the CRM.
- Take responsibility for identifying training and developmental needs for yourself on an on-going basis.
- Have ability to effectively identify, negotiate, generate, and defend sales revenue.
- Be a good team player / self-starter with the ability to work and generate revenue using own initiative.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree
- A minimum of two years experience in B2B sales. Work experience in a sales role within the information space is a plus.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills at the portfolio level.
- Client-facing abilities: Comfortable discussing complex and nuanced content with clients/prospective clients on the phone; excels in both a cold calling and account management environment
- Experience in presenting the value of market information is desired
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Team player who works well in a team environment and shows a willingness to collaborate with colleagues
- Enthusiastic, driven, self-starting, and high energy
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Pay will be commensurate with experience. The Capitol Forum provides its employees with a culture of learning, a passionate pursuit of the truth, a team-oriented work environment, and access to a growing community of colleagues, sources, and readers. In addition, we offer:
- Base salary between 65 – 75k, plus commission
- Health insurance coverage with company-funded HRA
- 401(k) plan
- Generous paid vacation plan
- Uncapped commission plan – your earning potential is only limited by your ambition to succeed.
- Reasonable working hours and a commitment to a healthy work/life balance
- A casual but energized corporate culture
- Opportunity for advancement
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of applicants, we may not be able to reply to all applications, but we greatly appreciate your interest.
The Capitol Forum is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.