Software Developer – Washington, D.C.
Location: Washington, DC
The Capitol Forum delivers investigative news and legal analysis of industry-defining competition policy issues to an influential subscriber base that includes investors, regulators, lawyers, and policymakers. By producing timely investigative journalism and exclusive analysis, we have become one of the fastest-growing, differentiated, and influential media companies in the United States.
POSITION AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Capitol Forum is seeking a software developer to grow our technical infrastructure in support of data-driven investigative journalism. This position reports to the CTO and requires a detail-oriented, creative thinker who excels at full-stack development. The ideal candidate will have a passion for developing datasets that provide insights not available from existing sources, and which will feed into articles published by The Capitol Forum.
The Capitol Forum compensates well for people with the right skills and provides a professional, supportive and entrepreneurial environment in which to thrive.
To succeed in, this role, you will need to:
- Work with the CTO, senior managers, journalists, and others to define and document technical requirements
- Prepare task plans and estimates
- Build and extend software programs to collect data from government, commercial, and academic sources, and to trigger automated alerts to both internal and external users
- Develop new software facilities within our web application for content delivery
- Document and report on progress toward task goals
- Conduct code walk-throughs
- Participate on conference calls
- Degree in Computer Science or closely related field
- Ability to perform basic statistical data analysis
- At least one year of software development
- Exposure to AWS facilities including EC2, RDS, ECR, SES, IAM
- Familiarity with one or more of MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch
- Familiarity with React, Django, or equivalent
- Experience using at least one IDE, and one or more of Git, Docker, CI tools, PIP, NPM, Yarn, Linux, Bash, Jest, JWT
- Ability to quickly become fluent with tools such as Requests, Selenium, BeautifulSoup and proxy servers
- Interest in becoming expert with internet protocols, email and text message deliverability, and APIs
- Team player
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Pay will be commensurate with experience. The Capitol Forum provides our correspondents with a culture of learning, a passionate pursuit of the truth, influence over the issues covered, a team-oriented work environment, and access to a growing community of colleagues, sources, and readers. In addition, we offer:
- Health insurance coverage with company-funded HRA
- 401(k) plan
- Generous paid vacation plan
- Possible bonuses depending on a combination of factors, including quality of work and growth of the product
- Reasonable working hours and a commitment to a healthy work/life balance
- A casual but energized office culture
- Opportunity for advancement
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Due to the volume of applicants, we may not be able to reply to all applications, but we greatly appreciate your interest.
The Capitol Forum is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.